Famous residential area of the nobles already in the Roman times, as evidenced by
the archaeological discovery of an ancient villa of the I century, Minori, the ancient "Reghinna
Minor" (to distinguish it from nearby "Reghinna Major", the current Maiori), like
all other towns of the Amalfi Coast, followed the fortunes of the ancient Maritime
Republic of Amalfi and was also a Bishop seat from 987. Over the centuries, the
strength of waters of the Reginna river contributed to the growth of flourishing
activities, such as mills and paper mills.
The village is spread throughout the valley, with numerous districts that cling
along the ridges of the surrounding hills, where man built terraces, mainly cultivated
with lemons and grapes, from where it is possible to enjoy a unique view over the
entire coastline. Minori has recently been proclaimed with the title of "City of
taste", as since the XVI century, the local inhabitants devoted themselves to the
production of hand-made pastas, refining the grain imported from Salerno. In the
recent years, due to the difficulty to trace natural products and thanks to the
exceptional creativity of the local artisans, the production of these special pastas
has been encouraged, along with the preparation of other local products such as
various liqueurs (famous "limoncello", or flavoured with mandarin, wild strawberries
or dill) and fresh cakes and pastries, that in a short time, have become famous
not only at national levels. During the eno-gastronomic event "Gusta Minori", held
in the first weeks of September, a theatrical theme itinerary is combined to the
tasting of the typical specialties of Minori .
Pearl of the Amalfi Coast, rich in history and architectural treasures and natural
wonders, there are many sites of interest that can inspire awe and admiration to
those that visit them:
- the Maritime archaeological Villa (of the I century A.D.), a
splendid example of Roman construction, discovered in 1932; it still retains traces
of a "peristilium", of a "viridarium" and of a "suspensurae"
with remains of its water heating system and some mosaics. Inside it features an
"Antiquarium" that exposes most of the finds from the Roman period found
both here and in the neighboring towns, as well as artifacts found underwater at
- the Basilica of Santa Trofimena, in late XVIII century style, was built over an
existing temple, which today houses the crypt. It is flanked by a square bell tower
in Neoclassical style. The structure is divided into three naves and houses valuable
paintings and sculptures, and an altarpiece of the Crucifixion by Marco Pino da
Siena (XVI century) and an episcopal throne in marble. In an urn of alabaster are
the remains of Santa Trofimena, a Sicilian martyr, that, the traditions tell, were
found on the beach of Minori between the VI and VII centuries;
- the bell tower of the Annunciation (XI century), in the homonymous district, located
about 150 meters above sea level, surrounded by vineyards and lemon groves, in Arab-Norman
style; it is the last witness of the ancient Church of the Annunciation, demolished
in 1950 because of its instable conditions. From the ruins of the church, it is
possible to recognize the two apses and the remains of a fresco depicting St. Michael.
- the Convent and the Church of St. Nicholas (XI century), located on Mount Forcella,
founded by the Augustinians in 1628;
- the Church of Saints Gennaro and Giuliano, in the district of Villamena, built
in Baroque style. The entrance portal is surmounted by a frescoed medallion, markedly
signed by the ages, representing the Madonna. The interior is divided into three
naves with eight pillars and in the last two, it huddles the central altar.
- the Church of Our Lady of the Rosary, which interconnects with the Church of Saints
Gennaro and Giuliano, in Baroque style features a single nave covered with a barrel
vault and coffered ceiling;
- the Church of St. John the Baptist of Piezulo, a medieval structure, built by
the Brancia Family from Amalfi in 1420. During the past it overlooked the main square;
today its entrance is barely visible due to its location between a complex of houses.
- the Church of Saint Lucia, dating from the X century, which preserves inside a
Baroque altar, an engraved wooden choir stand and the tomb of the founder, Giovanni
Simone Palumbo, in white marble with black marble decorations.
- the Church and the Congregation of the Blessed Sacrament, adjacent to the Basilica
of Santa Trofimena, whose origins date back to medieval times;
- the Church of St. Michael the Archangel, in the district of Torre;
- Paradise Tower, of vice-regal era, now located along the SS 163 "Amalfitana",
was part of the complex defensive system of the Amalfi Coast;
- Tower Mezzacapo in Torricella, situated along the main road SS 163 "Amalfitana",
on the border of the town limits between Maiori and Minori. Since the Viceroy era,
it had defensive and sighting purposes. It is part of the complex of the Castle
Miramare (or Mezzacapo, named after the family who had it built), which vaguely
resembles the castles of the Loire;
- the XI century Fountain of the Lions, situated on the seafront.
- the Grotto of the Annunciation, located between the towns of Maiori and Minori,
along the SS 163 "Amalfitana", was originally used by fishermen as a the shelter
of their boats. Inside are preserved the remains of an ancient chapel dedicated
to Our Lady and a small pond of fresh water.
above text is copyright by www.localidautore.com